Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Abnormal widening of the bronchi or their branches, causing a risk of infection.
- ‘COPD is a subset of obstructive lung diseases that also includes cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and asthma.’
- ‘Hypersecretion is an important feature in many chronic airway diseases, including COPD, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and acute asthma.’
- ‘Babies with whooping cough can develop pneumonia, bronchiectasis (pockets of infection form in the small airways of the lungs) and/or collapsed lung.’
- ‘A hallmark of H. influenzae infections in bronchiectasis and COPD is their propensity for recurrence.’
- ‘Bronchial casts have been described in various disorders, including asthma, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis.’
Late 19th century: from Greek bronkhia (denoting the branches of the main bronchi) + ektasis ‘dilatation’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.