One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bronchus or a primary branch off of one.
- ‘I started laughing and inhaled the plastic piece, which lodged in my right bronchial tube.’
- ‘Because these medicines open up the bronchial tubes (air passages) of the lungs, they are used to treat the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and other lung diseases.’
- ‘The flood of chemicals released in your body during anaphylaxis makes your blood pressure drop suddenly, and your bronchial tubes narrow, causing difficulty breathing or even unconsciousness and death.’
- ‘Allergies encompass a much broader set of allergic problems, such as hay fever, eczema and allergic conjunctivitis, while asthma relates only to the condition of the bronchial tubes.’
- ‘It does relax the bronchial tubes, so it is helpful in asthma.’
- ‘The web-like structures of her dyed fibres and rice paper prints reflect tree branches, bronchial tubes and the circulatory system.’
- ‘At the base, a bird's trachea splits into two branches, the bronchial tubes.’
- ‘When we breathe, air travels into the lungs through a series of bronchial tubes, which branch out like a tree, gradually getting smaller, until they turn into millions of tiny air bags called alveoli.’
- ‘Your child may have asthma - a chronic condition in which the main air passages of his or her lungs, the bronchial tubes, become inflamed - and you don't even know it.’
- ‘The drugs that treat asthma either relax the bronchial spasm, or reduce the inflammation that makes the bronchial tubes swollen and irritable to minor irritants.’
- ‘When tobacco smoke is breathed into the lungs, it irritates the bronchial tubes.’
- ‘Emphysema causes irreversible lung damage that restricts the flow of air in the lungs, while chronic bronchitis results in inflammation that causes an increase in mucus and bacterial infections that block the bronchial tubes.’
- ‘Use a short-acting beta-agonist inhaler 15 to 30 minutes before exercising to dilate your bronchial tubes, says Dr. Li.’
- ‘It caused internal and external bleeding and attacked the bronchial tubes.’
- ‘I had a large malignant tumor in my right bronchial tube.’
- ‘The wheezing is caused by a spasm of the bronchial tubes or by swelling of the mucous membrane.’
- ‘The right mainstem bronchus was intubated, the air evacuated, and buffered lavage fluid instilled from a deformable plastic reservoir attached to the bronchial tube to form a closed system.’
- ‘I don't think it's inflamed bronchial tubes; otherwise I wouldn't be able to get any air down there at all.’
- ‘Any further exposure narrows the bronchial tubes and brings on the symptoms of asthma.’
- ‘On bitter days the air is still cool when it gets there, shocking the surrounding muscles and causing them to spasm and contract - which in turn causes the bronchial tubes to shrink.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.