Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the bronchi or bronchioles.‘bronchial pneumonia’
- ‘These potent chemicals dilate blood vessels and constrict bronchial air passages.’
- ‘The distal bronchial lumen often ends abruptly because the smaller bronchi are plugged with mucus.’
- ‘Pulmonary as well as bronchial arterial angiography did not identify any irregularity.’
- ‘Histamine release produces increased bronchial tone in the lungs and vasodilation in the skin.’
- ‘The discoloration can also occur in nasal, bronchial mucosa, fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘Some of the mineral dusts can directly translocate into the bronchial mucosa without the help of macrophages.’
- ‘This suggests progressive bronchial and/or arterial disease in the infants.’
- ‘The lungs receive blood from the pulmonary and bronchial arterial systems.’
- ‘It then continues cranialward to bifurcate into an appropriate intercostal and a right bronchial artery.’
- ‘The medical term for lung cancer is bronchial carcinoma.’
- ‘Bleeding occurs most often from erosion of a bronchial artery and rarely from major pulmonary vessels.’
- ‘He said Mr Nutton died from bronchial pneumonia and a neurological disorder known as Binswanger's Disease.’
- ‘It runs the entire length of the bronchial tree and forms an extensive submucosal bronchial plexus.’
- ‘On the other hand, melatonin reportedly induced contraction of bovine bronchial smooth muscle.’
- ‘In humans, the presence of asthma is associated with an increase in DC numbers in the bronchial mucosa.’
- ‘They reduce mucosal oedema and bronchial hyperreactivity thus relieving acute symptoms and preventing structural damage to the lungs.’
- ‘We observed that hypoxia is a common event in the mucosal capillary blood of bronchial tumors.’
- ‘Vascular and bronchial connections to surrounding tissue were evaluated at surgery.’
- ‘Instances also occur of two distinct bronchial arteries for each lung.’
- ‘Small bronchial arterial branches to the left upper lobe were ligated.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.