One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely hot; scorching.‘the women toil in the broiling sun’
- ‘Suddenly I was on the barren playas of Tierra del Fuego, the broiling ground belching huge clouds of sulfurous gases into the heavy atmosphere.’
- ‘In addition, the spacecraft will follow an orbit that requires it to pass only briefly over Mercury's hottest regions, limiting exposure to the intense heat bouncing back from the broiling surface.’
- ‘At each landing is an open porch, supported by columns and protected from exposure to the broiling sun, where the visitor can pause to enjoy a quiet moment in the cool shade.’
- ‘A century or more ago, every Independence Day parade would be followed by a frock-coated local politician waxing eloquent on patriotic themes for an hour or two, heedless of the broiling sunshine.’
- ‘Instead, FEMA says help is coming, while people exist without water and food in broiling heat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.