One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A skewer or spit on which chunks of meat or fish are barbecued, grilled, or roasted.‘beef and lamb en brochette’
skewer, rotisserieView synonyms
- ‘The brochettes are very long and have a V-shaped blade in order to more easily pierce the meat.’
- ‘Chunks of moist chicken, bursting with taste and tenderness, are grilled on a brochette with slices of blackened onion.’
- ‘The best of the seafood dishes was a platter of monkfish and giant sea scallops, densely skewered on a rosemary brochette.’
- 1.1 A dish of skewered meat or fish chunks, grilled or roasted.
- ‘The assortment was rounded out by a savoury lamb meatball loaded with parsley, and small chunks of grilled lamb brochette.’
- ‘Place the brochettes on a preheated barbecue and cook for 4-5 minutes each side.’
- ‘You know the lamb must be fresh when it's the basis for three daily dishes: soup, brochette or shoulder.’
- ‘Anyone with a hankering for an ostrich fillet or a brochette of kangaroo but not sure where in Kerry they might get hold of such delights such check out the latest addition to dining out in Killarney.’
- ‘After some hemming and hawing, I ordered the barg kebab, a grilled, marinated brochette of filet mignon.’
- ‘Go all out with the chef's couscous special, presented in a peaked ceramic dish containing five simmered meats, including a tender lamb chop, succulent chicken, merguez sausage, a savoury meatball and a grilled lamb brochette.’
- ‘Veggies can try Turkish vegetable brochettes with pepper, onions, zucchini, and cottage cheese with saffron rice or the spicier Thai vegetable curry with steamed rice.’
- ‘We also ordered the chicken brochette with a spicy marinade.’
- ‘The grilled brochette was served with three different kinds of basmati rice.’
- ‘I have some things to say about this quail brochette.’
- ‘The plate of lamb brochette had lots of elements to sample.’
- ‘The dish came with two brochettes, and these were something else - tender and juicy and infused with citrusy flavour.’
- ‘A better bet was the beef kebab, a brochette containing six large chunks of meat, grilled pepper, onion and zucchini, served with a tasty peppercorn dipping sauce.’
- ‘Main courses include great brochettes, fragrant rice and a veggie plate.’
- ‘The Dad ordered marinated lamb brochette on a bed of garlic wild rice and red pepper dressing for €16.’
- ‘Just as all the appetizers are available in varied formats, the main courses of falafel or meat brochettes are served as sandwich or as a platter.’
- ‘The menu is split into four sections: salads, fresh fish, meats and brochettes.’
- ‘The brochettes come on skewers that could be used for sword-fighting, hanging over each end of the large oval serving plate.’
- ‘More fowl - the grilled hoffman ranch thyme chicken brochettes were amazing.’
- ‘The aromas mingle in the smoke of the little brochettes grilling over braziers.’
French, diminutive of broche ‘skewer’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.