Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cabbage of a variety similar to the cauliflower, bearing heads of green or purplish flower buds. It is widely cultivated as a vegetable.
- ‘Seedlings for planting out now include cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and celery.’
- ‘Flea beetles like this crop a lot and the best way for me to get broccoli and cauliflower is to start the seedling in flats.’
- ‘After plants stop producing, most people pull up their broccoli and toss it onto the compost pile.’
- ‘A ten percent germination rate can leave a lot of bare soil in a flower bed, or lead to a disappointment of broccoli.’
- ‘This new brand of broccoli is right at home in southern climates where it has been so hot and dry the last couple of years.’
- ‘Sow cabbages, broccoli and other brassicas in a sheltered seed bed or in trays in the cold greenhouse.’
- ‘Another reason for rotation is to get rid of fungi which easily strike crops such as tomatoes, broccoli and cabbage.’
- ‘A ten-foot row of broccoli will give you enough florets to feed a family of four with plenty left over to freeze.’
- ‘It's also a good time to put in root crops as well as broccoli and cabbage, artichokes, asparagus and rhubarb.’
- ‘Plant out winter greens, such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, in the vegetable plot.’
- ‘The Cruciferae are any of a family of plants including cabbage, broccoli, turnip, and mustard.’
- ‘Plant seed for broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage transplants through mid-August.’
- ‘Lettuce is, for me, a pain in the neck if it must be done by hand; so are radishes, broccoli, and most herbs.’
- ‘Sow purple-sprouting broccoli and winter cabbages in trays.’
- ‘The only vegetables to avoid are any of the cole crops, such as cabbage, mustard or broccoli.’
- ‘The vegetable garden is doing quite well, with spuds, broccoli, onions, cabbage and garlic all starting to grow.’
- ‘Italian green sprouting or Calabrese broccoli is the most commonly grown heirloom type.’
- ‘Like the cauliflower, broccoli is a sort of cabbage in which flowers have begun to form but have stopped growing while still in bud.’
- ‘On our small plot we are plagued by onion mildew and club root; we can no longer grow onions, leeks, cabbages or broccoli.’
Mid 17th century: from Italian, plural of broccolo cabbage sprout, head diminutive of brocco shoot based on Latin brocchus, broccus projecting.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.