One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cultivated variety of cabbage bearing heads of green or purplish flower buds that are eaten as a vegetable.
There are several kinds of broccoli, in particular those in the “Italica” group
- ‘It's also a good time to put in root crops as well as broccoli and cabbage, artichokes, asparagus and rhubarb.’
- ‘Italian green sprouting or Calabrese broccoli is the most commonly grown heirloom type.’
- ‘The Cruciferae are any of a family of plants including cabbage, broccoli, turnip, and mustard.’
- ‘On our small plot we are plagued by onion mildew and club root; we can no longer grow onions, leeks, cabbages or broccoli.’
- ‘This new brand of broccoli is right at home in southern climates where it has been so hot and dry the last couple of years.’
- ‘Lettuce is, for me, a pain in the neck if it must be done by hand; so are radishes, broccoli, and most herbs.’
- ‘Seedlings for planting out now include cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and celery.’
- ‘Plant out winter greens, such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, in the vegetable plot.’
- ‘The vegetable garden is doing quite well, with spuds, broccoli, onions, cabbage and garlic all starting to grow.’
- ‘Like the cauliflower, broccoli is a sort of cabbage in which flowers have begun to form but have stopped growing while still in bud.’
- ‘A ten-foot row of broccoli will give you enough florets to feed a family of four with plenty left over to freeze.’
- ‘Sow purple-sprouting broccoli and winter cabbages in trays.’
- ‘Another reason for rotation is to get rid of fungi which easily strike crops such as tomatoes, broccoli and cabbage.’
- ‘A ten percent germination rate can leave a lot of bare soil in a flower bed, or lead to a disappointment of broccoli.’
- ‘The only vegetables to avoid are any of the cole crops, such as cabbage, mustard or broccoli.’
- ‘Sow cabbages, broccoli and other brassicas in a sheltered seed bed or in trays in the cold greenhouse.’
- ‘After plants stop producing, most people pull up their broccoli and toss it onto the compost pile.’
- ‘Flea beetles like this crop a lot and the best way for me to get broccoli and cauliflower is to start the seedling in flats.’
- ‘Plant seed for broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage transplants through mid-August.’
Mid 17th century: from Italian, plural of broccolo ‘cabbage sprout, head’, diminutive of brocco ‘shoot’, based on Latin brocchus, broccus ‘projecting’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.