One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sword with a wide blade, used for cutting rather than thrusting.
- ‘They brandished war hammers, axes, broadswords, and spears of all shapes and sizes.’
- ‘We started to talk about knives and Mick told me he had a huge collection of knives and swords, ranging from tiny little daggers up to Katanas and Medieval broadswords.’
- ‘Hung on the walls were swords of every kind: kodachis, katanas, fencing swords, even the heavy and antique broadswords.’
- ‘He leapt from his chair and hurtled around the desk, pausing only for a second at the door to strap on his gun and a broadsword.’
- ‘The crowd roared as Derryn swung his sword up, the large blade of his broadsword knocking aside the slash aimed at his head.’
- ‘The armored soldiers, bearing their large broadswords, axes and spears, flooded into the cave, making the only exit closed from escape.’
- ‘The battle armour he always wore clanked incessantly against the scabbard of the broadsword at his waist.’
- ‘He himself took his broadsword, katana and short hunting knife for his leg.’
- ‘The rebels were not only outnumbered but outclassed in weapons, being themselves heavily dependent upon broadswords and shields while their enemies had muskets and bayonets and above all artillery.’
- ‘He raised his sword arm in a fit of rage, preparing to strike her with his broadsword, leaving himself wide open for attack.’
- ‘The sword was just as deadly as a broadsword but lighter and easier to handle.’
- ‘In the case she noticed a gargantuan broadsword, the blade about four and a half feet long.’
- ‘The axe shaved off an inch of steel off of the broadsword's blade.’
- ‘There was no skill with the long sword, and Jash wielded the broadsword with a shocking incompetence.’
- ‘Without dismounting, he drew his broadsword and rapped the hilt against the gate.’
- ‘When he reappeared, he had a small pack as well as a broadsword and two smaller swords meant for cooperative use strapped to his back.’
- ‘First of which, the hair was in a ponytail and her sword was a black broadsword.’
- ‘Suddenly the boy's eyes flashed a dark blue before he began to charge forward, swinging his broadsword with a single arm.’
- ‘His arms were thick and muscular, on his back was strapped a thick broadsword, it's hilt made of bronze and silver.’
- ‘She saw three men rush in, all carrying broadswords, heavy swords that were almost as hard to block as axes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.