Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Carpet woven in wide widths.‘wall-to-wall broadloom’
- ‘As a starting point, the firms had to be financially stable and able to provide both broadloom and carpet tile in quantities Fidelity needed.’
- ‘When rugs are cut from broadloom carpeting, you can specify any size or shape you want.’
- ‘For instance, broadloom carpeting may run $20 per yard, and the going rate for installation might be around $5 per yard.’
- ‘Choose broadloom carpet if a plush, cushy feeling underfoot is important to creating the desired image.’
- ‘Don't be like the guest of a guest at one of my cocktail parties a number of years ago who dropped a lit cigarette on my white wool broadloom and thought it more seemly to stub the cigarette out than to pick it up.’
- ‘‘Say the design team has to decide whether to use carpet tile or broadloom in a particular location,’ says Sanford Smith, corporate manager for real estate and facilities, Toyota.’
- ‘Previously, broadloom carpet almost always won the battle of the budget when up against carpet tile.’
- ‘Glue-down installation is appropriate for broadloom and tile.’
- ‘The texture was always soft, with blades thicker than the tufts in my new plush broadloom.’
- ‘Tufted broadloom carpeting and wool area rugs give the Idea House interior a warm, casually elegant air.’
- ‘While it's difficult to generalize with any accuracy, many broadloom carpets run about $20 per square yard installed.’
- ‘For carpet, considerations include broadloom vs. tile; stretch-in vs. glue-down; and nylon, olefin or wool fibers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.