One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fat around the hips.
big, burly, heavy, tall, bulky, thickset, heavyset, chunky, strapping, powerfully built, hefty, muscular, muscle-bound, brawny, muscly, husky, solid, powerful, sturdy, solidly built, broad-shouldered, strong, big and strong, rugged, herculeanView synonyms
- ‘What struck me was that these guys were all well-dressed in suits and that they were all big fellas, not nearly as tall as I am but all real hefty and broad in the beam.’
- ‘Presumably she was a bit long in the tooth and a bit broad in the beam for evening television.’
- ‘It would have to be first class because she's a bit broad in the beam.’
- ‘Wandering Forbidden Planet, I find myself part of a crowd of scruffy, myopic thirtysomething white boys who've grown a bit broad in the beam from too much sitting and snacking.’
- ‘Hartson may look a bit broad in the beam, but his strength and experience will give big problems to defenders in the Championship.’
- ‘Morweena was forced to slide a little, because the woman was broad in the beam.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.