One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Denoting antibiotics, pesticides, etc. effective against a large variety of organisms.
- ‘This protocol included the use of broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics immediately after the diagnosis was made.’
- ‘It's a very effective broad-spectrum killer and has been used for 40 years in 80 countries worldwide.’
- ‘In hospital, painkillers and broad-spectrum antibiotics are given to clear up the infection.’
- ‘The use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen is recommended in all patients with dermatomyositis and has the greatest benefit in patients who are photosensitive.’
- ‘The empiric use of broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics is therefore unnecessary in children with typical signs and symptoms of RSV bronchiolitis, and may be harmful.’
- ‘At present, the most effective strategy available to deal with S. pyogenes is treatment of acute infections by administration of therapeutic doses of a broad-spectrum antibiotic like penicillin.’
- ‘The periodic acid-Schiff stain is used widely as a broad-spectrum stain for fungal detection.’
- ‘In addition, broad-spectrum pesticides kill natural predators that keep pests in check.’
- ‘He was admitted to the intensive care unit in septic shock and was treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics and vasopressors.’
- ‘If no answer had been provided immediately, presumptive broad-spectrum therapy may have been continued until a result was returned.’
- ‘For more severe infections involving the entire follicle, you may need oral antibiotics or broad-spectrum antifungal agents.’
- ‘Despite an overall decline in antibiotic prescriptions, broad-spectrum agents are still overused.’
- ‘Itraconazole, a synthetic broad-spectrum triazole, is currently available as an injection, oral solution, and capsule.’
- ‘The patient was treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics, verapamil and digoxin, and oxygen, and anticoagulation was adjusted.’
- ‘Patients should select broad-spectrum sunscreens that contain agents that block UVB and UVA with an SPF of 30 or greater.’
- ‘Instead of being broad-spectrum and long-lasting, organic pesticides may attack just one type of insect and break down quickly after use.’
- ‘Some authorities advocate empiric therapy with broad-spectrum intravenous antibiotics.’
- ‘A broad-spectrum therapy is recommended in suspected ascitic fluid infection until culture results and susceptibility are available.’
- ‘Antistaphylococcal agents are best for axillary disease, and more broad-spectrum coverage is better for perineal disease.’
- ‘Because most necrotizing soft tissue infections are polymicrobial, broad-spectrum coverage is advisable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.