One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The amount of heat needed to raise one pound of water at maximum density through one degree Fahrenheit, equivalent to 1.055 × 10³ joules.
- ‘Any system greater than 15,000 British thermal units per hour must have such controls.’
- ‘On Friday, gas for delivery in November closed at $13.4 per million British thermal units - in 2003, it averaged just $4.40.’
- ‘Through the 1990s, gas prices were among the world's lowest, averaging $2 per million British thermal units (BTUs).’
- ‘Natural gas for October delivery rose US $0.046, or 1.4 percent, to US $3.296 per million British thermal units on the New York Mercantile Exchange.’
- ‘Today the world produces and consumes nearly 400 quadrillion British thermal units of power.’
- ‘In 1973, the US consumed 20 million British thermal units of energy to produce $1 of gross domestic product.’
- ‘Natural-gas futures are up 79 percent since the year began and touched a record US $11.899 per million British thermal units yesterday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.’
- ‘Propane heaters are rated in British thermal units, and are typically found in the 10,000 to 50,000 BTU range (larger sizes are also available).’
- ‘Consider that a barrel of oil has roughly the same energy as 6 million British thermal units of natural gas, a ratio that usually keeps the two commodities trading more or less in sync.’
- ‘The price of LNG is currently set at between US $2.20 and $2.40 per million British thermal unit.’
- ‘Petronas will supply 145 billion British thermal unit per day to Tambak Lorok, at a price of US $2.78 per million British thermal unit, said Ali.’
- ‘Most energy companies use natural gas to fire their generators, and the industrial price of natural gas has climbed to $7.22 per million British thermal units from $6.05 a year earlier.’
- ‘The price of natural gas sold to the LIC sector will be reduced by 20 cents per million British thermal unit, and will take effect from December 1, 2004.’
- ‘The British thermal unit content of natural gas is approximately one-sixth the BTU content of oil.’
- ‘The fertilizer firm's contract with Exxon to supply natural gas at US $2.3 per million British thermal unit expired at the end of last month.’
- ‘Gasoline futures, which have been near record territory recently, fell US $0.0113 to US $1.8292 per gallon while natural gas prices eased US $0.1490 to US $13.226 per million British thermal units.’
- ‘When gas hit $10 per million British thermal units in late 2000, a lot of power plants and businesses switched to other fuels.’
- ‘The gas, amounting to 243.27 trillion British thermal units in total, will come from Rancak, Pagerungan and Terang Sirasun fields in the province.’
- ‘Under the building code, every new and remodeled home in Pitkin County must meet a strict ‘energy budget’ of approximately 40,000 British thermal units per square foot.’
- ‘One Btu, British thermal unit, is roughly equivalent to burning one kitchen match.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.