One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in names or titles) of Britain or the British Empire.‘he answered His Britannic Majesty's call to arms’
- ‘It is unclear how the Druids inter-tied with the larger corpus of Britannic, as well as Celtic, pre-Christian religious practices, or even how long the category existed prior to Roman invasion.’
- ‘It recalled that stirring Britannic anthem, Hearts of Oak (sadly unheard at the Proms this year).’
- ‘Her Britannic Majesty's correct title is: Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.’
- ‘Her Britannic Majesty is, after all, only human.’
- ‘Not all the arguments which apply to the British monarchy will apply to others (or even to other realms of Her Britannic Majesty), but I will concentrate here on the British arguments.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin Britannicus, from Britannia (see Britannia).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.