One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Jewish ceremony of circumcision.Also called brith
- ‘The bris, or ritual circumcision, takes place eight days after birth.’
- ‘There's nothing new about a rabbi fainting at a bris.’
- ‘Frankly, those were not the qualities I had previously associated with bris, but then I live in New York.’
- ‘At the time of the party, the reporter was in fact attending a bris.’
- ‘Anyone who has witnessed a bris will know they bawl their heads off.’
Hebrew bĕrīṯ, short for bĕrīṯ milah ‘covenant of circumcision’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.