One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Achieve something successfully.‘a good omelet is very hard to bring off’
achieve, accomplish, bring about, succeed in, pull off, carry off, carry through, manage, carry outView synonyms
- ‘They explain a lot about how shots were put together or what effects were used to bring them off.’
- ‘Rostropovich brings this live performance off most impressively.’
- ‘It is part of something that they hope they never have to do but they bring it off successfully.’
- ‘He brings it off with a skill that you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.’
- ‘Now that he's at an age where he can genuinely strike such a pose, he can't quite bring it off.’
- ‘The only thing you're scared of is not being able to bring it off.’
- ‘It's not the kind of thing one associates with him, but he brings it off triumphantly.’
- ‘They have brought the project off with impeccable artistic taste.’
- ‘He might have worked terribly hard to bring it off.’
- ‘The man actually responsible for bringing the whole thing off isn't even acknowledged on the big screen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.