One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Cause an animal or person to fall over by shooting them.
- ‘The cow dodged and ran within ten or fifteen yards of them when both men fired and brought her down.’
- ‘The shot that had brought him down had lodged in his thigh.’
- ‘This one of the sort had a long bolt-it was for bringing a grisly bear down.’
- ‘He fought his excitement, trying to line up a shot that would bring the bear down.’
- ‘The shot which brought him down was fired by the owner of the pigeons.’
- 1.1 Cause an aircraft or bird to fall from the sky by shooting it.
- ‘The Pentagon says it doesn't appear the aircraft was brought down by hostile fire.’
- ‘As a duck came speeding by, B.K. took the shot and brought the duck down.’
- ‘Government agencies deny that a Navy missile brought the plane down.’
- ‘As the jet descended to land, it was brought down by two missiles.’
- ‘Commercial airlines have been brought down by military aircraft and missiles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.