1The activity of building bridges.
- ‘These include planting, road-building, and bridge-building, and working in the villages.’
- ‘The training took place at a Korean Army training site used specifically for bridge-building.’
- ‘A youthful fascination with bridge-building probably determined his future as a civil engineer.’
- ‘Earlier in the day, we learned the unit had placed second in a European bridge-building competition.’
- ‘On Friday, the university plays host to its annual bridge-building competition.’
- 1.1The promotion of friendly relations between groups.
- ‘Your work of years of bridge-building can be undone in minutes.’
- ‘The alliance needs a bridge-building policy to resolve its military problems.’
- ‘I think it may even be a genuine attempt at bridge-building.’
- ‘This will require leadership, compromise and bridge-building.’
- ‘However, Medici's bridge-building policy proved no better at preventing revolt.’