One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl or woman who accompanies a bride on her wedding day.
- ‘I'm going to a wedding where the bridesmaids are wearing all black.’
- ‘It's always nice to meet my bridesmaids before the wedding.’
- ‘She'd been a bridesmaid at their wedding, and was now a godmother of their recently-born firstborn child Jacob.’
- ‘It is common for couples to have their own children present at their weddings, often as bridesmaids or pageboys.’
- ‘Savannah's more of a junior bridesmaid and flower girl combined.’
- ‘The bride usually wears white and is attended by bridesmaids.’
- ‘The fact that Carmen asked Sharon to be one of her bridesmaids at her recent wedding speaks volumes.’
- ‘She's Prince Charles' goddaughter and she was a bridesmaid at his first wedding.’
- ‘We didn't have the typical wedding with bridesmaids, 200 guests and a mile-long buffet with an ice sculpture.’
- ‘The bridesmaids and flower girl each had a single white lily fixed in their hair, to match the bride's bouquet.’
- ‘Three years ago, Tami and Allison took turns as bridesmaids at Andrea's wedding.’
- ‘We'd like you to be a bridesmaid at the wedding, Lexie.’
- ‘And now she's just asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding.’
- ‘The bride would be accompanied by several bridesmaids and the groom had one male, the best man, at his side.’
- ‘We had already been to several fittings for the bridesmaid and wedding dress.’
- ‘As in the United States, the couple selects a best man, maid of honor, bridesmaids, and attendants.’
- ‘She was a bridesmaid at his wedding to Princess Diana.’
- ‘I was in a wedding and the bridesmaid's dress was a rose pink silk shantung.’
- ‘Megan and we bridesmaids were ushered into the side door of the building to prevent her from being seen.’
- ‘The only job Jalena did not leave was to make gift bags for the bridesmaids and ushers.’
Late 18th century: alteration of earlier bridemaid.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.