One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where beer is made commercially.
- ‘Ron used to organise the beer from the local brewery in sugar sacks that held 4 dozen big bottles of beer.’
- ‘Contemporary fine dining restaurants and specialty beer breweries have several points in common.’
- ‘That being said, they are still far more enjoyable than going on a beer brewery tour.’
- ‘He diversified into manufacturing, setting up a brewery and a rope factory in St Petersburg in the 1790s.’
- ‘Of all these purchased drinks, beer is significantly the cheapest, as there is a brewery on Saint Kitts.’
- ‘While the major breweries dominated the beer market, imported brands and local microbreweries also flourished.’
- ‘The town boasted three flour mills, a bakery, a tannery, several breweries, shops and rows and rows of little cottages.’
- ‘It has a coffee-processing plant and a brewery that manufactures beer from bananas.’
- ‘It's beer, from the breweries on the edge of town, wafting through the city air.’
- ‘The brewery currently produces about 20,000 litres of beer a year in 2,000 litre batches.’
- ‘Beer is commonly consumed and a local brewery has been established.’
- ‘Part of the fun is that the companies you buy shares in are breweries and beer gardens.’
- ‘You say there's an advantage in having either a bakery or a brewery onsite.’
- ‘He said distilleries and breweries should forget about price hikes.’
- ‘When researching beer, why not go to the local brewery and partake of the tour.’
- ‘Competition entries came from 466 breweries, with beers judged in 69 different categories.’
- ‘In St. Louis, the Hyde Park brewery airs the first beer commercial on television.’
- ‘They included Guinness, and also a range of ales or lagers produced by smaller breweries.’
- ‘Benin City is a conglomeration of villages with a hub of government offices and a periphery of breweries and factories.’
- ‘Actually, if the brewmaster sent that beer out of the brewery, he thought it was done.’
Mid 17th century: from brew, probably on the pattern of Dutch brouwerij.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.