Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nuclear reactor that creates fissile material (typically plutonium-239 by irradiation of uranium-238) at a faster rate than it uses another fissile material (typically uranium-235) as fuel.
- ‘For example, a breeder reactor is one in which new reactor fuel is manufactured.’
- ‘The history of the breeder reactors is a history of fiascos.’
- ‘A breeder reactor would convert uranium 238 to plutonium that we could burn.’
- ‘No breeder reactor, a technology necessary for nuclear fission, has ever been successful in the marketplace.’
- ‘But, pebble reactors do not have the same crash shields required of light-water breeder reactors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.