One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gun designed to have ammunition inserted at the breech rather than through the muzzle.
- ‘The breech-loader was probably a swivel gun, although the barrel may have been mounted on a timber block mount.’
- ‘Rifles became breech-loaders, then repeaters.’
- ‘The field officers who opposed the breech-loaders saw their job as controlling the troops.’
- ‘It will thus be seen that two men with the breech-loader scored six points more than the fifteen men with the Enfield.’
- ‘The cartridges fired by these early breech-loaders were lacking in power when compared to muskets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.