One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- past and past participle of breed
usually in combination (of a person or animal) reared in a specified environment or way.‘a city-bred man’
- ‘Much of the delivery work was done by half-draft or specially bred horses.’
- ‘Specially bred horses (all stallions no more than 14 hands high) were fed and housed in lavish stables and great forts.’
- ‘Yet for the time they are alive, these carefully bred animals are treated to a lavish lifestyle before they face mortal combat.’
- ‘Here, different bred animals are set loose in the city.’
- ‘As Luni rode through town, mounted on his exquisitely bred horse, she decided that life with him might not be so bad.’
- ‘A company once asked him to see if its specially bred beans caused less gas than ordinary beans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.