A device used by police for measuring the amount of alcohol in a driver's breath.
- ‘The police officer got out a breathalyser and told him he would have to blow into it.’
- ‘If the bacterium is present, it is changed into a chemical that can be detected with a breathalyser.’
- ‘Rather like the roadside breathalyser used on drivers, the portable drug test yields results in a matter of minutes.’
- ‘Still, the police insisted that the driver take a breathalyser test.’
- ‘The only common feature is that the same breathalyser machine was used to obtain breath samples.’
- ‘Police pulled him over and administered a breathalyser test, which he failed.’
1960s: blend of breath and (an)alyze + -er.