One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large piece of shaped timber fitted horizontally in the bows of a ship, used to connect the sides to the stem.
- ‘I plan to bring the cloth over the breasthook on each end and this should add further strength.’
- ‘The breasthook is glued and fastened to the stem before the stem is attached to the frame.’
- ‘I built breasthooks out of some 3/4’ pine shelving that was left over from another project.’
- ‘An open paddle canoe is a traditional canoe with gunwales, breasthooks, yokes and seats.’
- ‘Then I sanded the edges of the decks to fit and just glued them to the bulkheads, breasthooks, and each other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.