One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for dengue
- ‘Ecovec is a company specialized in monitoring urban plagues, especially the Aedes aegypti mosquito, vector of breakbone fever.’
- ‘The joint symptoms, while common to most diseases at first, are most pronounced of all in dengue, and the notable difference between the pulse and temperature as in yellow fever is absent in breakbone fever.’
- ‘However, it was an American physician, Benjamin Rush, who first referred to dengue as ‘breakbone fever’.’
- ‘In America it was known as breakbone fever and in the East Indies as knokkel - koorts, knuckle fever.’
- ‘I had dengue fever, called ‘breakbone fever‘some years ago for its joint and muscle pain.’
- ‘Another suggests that flu and colds were historically called ‘breakbone fever’ in the early colonies.’
- ‘Epidemiologists there have confirmed 14 cases of the viral illness, which is spread by mosquitoes and nicknamed breakbone fever.’
- ‘Rush coined the term breakbone fever, based on the intense description of symptoms reported by one of his patients.’
- ‘Extreme aching in the legs and joints occurs during the first hours, which accounts for the traditional name of breakbone fever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.