One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Overwhelm someone with sadness.
make sad, sadden, make unhappy, cast down, get down, make gloomy, make despondent, dispiritView synonyms
- ‘When he finishes, her sadness descends so quickly, it nearly breaks his heart.’
- ‘She was just absolutely hysterically funny in parts and then she broke your heart in other parts.’
- ‘Riley was a mess, she had reason to be, but she was so upset, it just broke my heart to see her like that.’
- ‘Last year, I spent the night being depressed because the ex broke my heart.’
- ‘And that enough saddened me and broke my heart because I know what those families are going through.’
- ‘‘He loves his mum, he loves his family and it breaks his heart to realise he has caused them considerable distress over the years,’ added Mr Pickles.’
- ‘It breaks your heart - it absolutely breaks your heart.’
- ‘But his stories still roar, they still frighten, they still overwhelm, they still break your heart, and they still make you want to grab the person next to you and hold on.’
- ‘He hated to upset her, it broke his heart to see her cry.’
- ‘It breaks my heart to see him look so confused and upset.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.