One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A box for storing bread and other baked goods.
- ‘It's more the size of a breadbox, but it can handle 8x10 photos and ordinary letter-size documents as well as 4x6 snapshots.’
- ‘One April, as I sat reading a book, my mother rushed into the kitchen, emptied the contents of the breadbox into her apron, and ran out the front door.’
- ‘I'm worried people have forgotten why those Pilgrims shipped over here in that floating breadbox.’
- ‘I deal in services and I am bigger than a breadbox.’
- ‘Can you use such a strong color for anything bigger than a breadbox?’
- ‘VCRs could have been mistaken for breadboxes in our living room, while TV sets took up more space than the couch.’
- ‘For those who are geographically impaired, that is an area bigger than a breadbox.’
- ‘Then his eyes fell on a blue plastic Ikea breadbox - the ‘perfect marriage of cheap modern art, chintziness and utility,’ he said.’
- ‘The biscuit won when it jumped from the top of the breadbox and flattened the muffin.’
- ‘There was a breadbox next to the fridge, but it was empty.’
- ‘So they'll be bigger than a breadbox and probably smaller than an elephant, would be my guess.’
- ‘Also, don't forget to look for some unique containers you may have stored in your garage, attic, or basement such as buckets, tubs, old wooden crates, or maybe even your grandmother's favorite old breadbox.’
- ‘You laugh, your jaw drops, but you spend a little time with it and this little breadbox on wheels really grows on you.’
- ‘That's serious evolutionary progress for a car that debuted here 33 years ago looking like a stripped-down metal breadbox.’
- ‘Her mother had forgotten to go shopping again, so Qiara had been left to scavenge whatever she could from the leftovers in the fridge and breadbox.’
- ‘I found the cordless telephone and grabbed myself a bagel from the breadbox, and then went back to the living room and plopped down on the sofa.’
- ‘Then she got the loaf of bread out of the breadbox.’
- ‘It looks a little funky and gives the appearance of an oversized breadbox.’
- ‘Birdie pulled a loaf from the breadbox and began to cut slices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.