Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long knife, typically with a serrated edge, for slicing bread.
- ‘I found that a serrated bread knife did the best job.’
- ‘Remove the cake layers from the pans and cut both cake layers in half horizontally, using a serrated bread knife.’
- ‘Take your sharpest serrated bread knife and cut the stick in half across the middle.’
- ‘He returned moments later with the steaming bread on the cutting board, complete with a bread knife.’
- ‘So, he got out his bread knife and trimmed the quarter-loaf down to a couple of slices of dry toast.’
- ‘On August 20, she was seen outside her home holding a bread knife.’
- ‘Some people used sharp wires to level a cake - that is, to skim off the bump on the top that occurs naturally when baking, but I preferred to use a long bread knife.’
- ‘This is most easily done with a large serrated-edged knife or a bread knife.’
- ‘Cutting your lawn with a bread knife is a lot of work, too, and will fill your day up like nothing you've ever seen.’
- ‘So bits of twine, a broken bread knife and half-empty bags of last year's mouldy bulb fibre are squirrelled away in my shed.’
- ‘She poked at the crumpled snakeskin with the bread knife and asked, ‘What did you think you were playing at, bringing that filth into my kitchen?’’
- ‘Recently I've added a bread knife I bought at a trade show because the salesman made me think I couldn't live without it, and a box of baking tubes.’
- ‘While still hot, remove the crusts with a bread knife, halve, and stack in a special rack.’
- ‘When he refused, one of the attackers produced a seven-inch knife, similar to a bread knife, and threatened him again.’
- ‘A school security guard had seen a bread knife with a 10-inch blade in the bed of the teen's pickup.’
- ‘I slice the loaf in two, carefully using my extra-sharp bread knife on my nifty bamboo cutting-board.’
- ‘Kelley slid silently to the kitchen drawer, selecting an old bread knife.’
- ‘I was starting to really like the look of the bread knife.’
- ‘I set up the board and pull out my bread knife, my chef's knife, my paring knife and my peeler.’
- ‘A small saw or serrated blade such as an old bread knife can be used.’
bread knife/ˈbred ˌnīf/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.