One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The largest country in South America, in the east-central part of the continent, on the Atlantic Ocean; population 207,900,000 (estimated 2015); capital, Brasilia; official language, Portuguese.
Brazil is the fifth largest country in the world. Previously inhabited in large part by Tupi and Guarani peoples, Brazil was colonized by the Portuguese, who imported large numbers of slaves from West Africa to work on sugar plantations. The country was proclaimed an independent empire in 1822 and became a republic after the overthrow of the monarchy in 1889Portuguese name Brasil
1A large three-sided nut with an edible kernel, several of which grow inside a large woody capsule. Brazil nuts grow on a South American forest tree, and most are harvested in the wild.
Bertholletia excelsa, family Lecythidaceae
- ‘Other foods to stay clear of are tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, Brazils, hazelnuts and walnuts), sesame seeds, fish, shellfish, eggs and dairy produce.’
- ‘Its flavour has been likened to a cross between a Brazil nut and a macadamia nut.’
- ‘Switch almonds with Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.’
- ‘So, Hartvig recommends consuming immune system boosters such as grapefruit, curly kale, avocado, Brazil nuts, echinacea and shiitake mushroom.’
- ‘To serve, arrange the red fingerling bananas, blackberries, raspberries, dehydrated mangoes, and Brazil nuts on a large plate.’
- ‘Try dried apricots and almonds, dried mangoes and Brazil nuts, and dried figs and walnuts.’
- ‘Mango and Thai basil salad with star anise, red chili, and Brazil nuts offers as much exotic sunniness as one bowl can contain.’
- ‘Nut and raisin mixes (homemade with unsalted cashews, hazelnuts, Brazils, pecans and a few chocolate chips to make it more exciting) are filling snacks.’
- ‘Particularly good sources of selenium include cereals and other grains, Brazil nuts, seafood, poultry, mushrooms and asparagus.’
- ‘Many natural- and gourmet-food markets also carry almond, macadamia, Brazil nut, pistachio, cashew, pumpkin seed, hazelnut and sunflower seed butters.’
- ‘For this time I had walnuts from France, Brazil nuts from the UK (originally from Bolivia, the package says), pistachios and hazelnuts from Italy, and almonds from Spain.’
- ‘What are now rich forest areas for harvesting Brazil nuts might wane into an impoverished old age unless harvesters change their ways, warns a large international group of scientists.’
- ‘I take no offense at spending money for walnuts, cashews, Brazil nuts and the like, but the pecans tick me off.’
- ‘Actually, only parts of it weren't, since it's got a long list of ingredients: lettuce, quail eggs, hearts of palm, xuxu, mango slices, green onions, shrimp, Brazil nuts and cashews.’
- ‘Tree nuts include walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, pine nuts, pistachios, and more.’
- ‘I like all kinds of nuts - walnuts, Brazil nuts and almonds.’
- ‘Some foods to consider include almonds, avocados, blackstrap molasses, Brazil nuts, dried figs, flounder, peanuts and wheat germ.’
- ‘Almonds, Brazils and peanuts are good for helping to build or maintain muscle mass and help protect against glaucoma, diabetes and high blood pressure.’
- ‘Unroasted nuts such as almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts make an ideal snack food for would-be slimmers keen to get cracking.’
- ‘Almonds, walnuts, cashews and Brazils are widely used in many foods.’
2A hard red wood obtained from a tropical tree and from which dyes may be obtained.
Genus Caesalpinia, family Leguminosae: several species
- ‘Many were impossible for Huguette to do by herself, such as the engraving of a cross in rock-hard Brazil wood or the levitation of crosses and relics by invisible means.’
- ‘Brazil wood is great to reduce sugar in the blood and remove gallstones from the kidneys.’
Middle English (in Brazil (sense 2)): from medieval Latin brasilium. The South American country Brazil (see Brazil) takes its name from the wood.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.