Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Form, fix, or join by soldering with an alloy of copper and zinc at high temperature.
- ‘The metallization allows the fiber to be soldered to the ferrule, which in turn can be brazed to the side of the package for a hermetic seal.’
- ‘Each barrel of a double rifle is brazed along a central axis where the barrels are joined.’
- ‘In addition, they can be joined by brazing and soldering.’
- ‘Copper can also be welded, brazed and soldered satisfactorily.’
- ‘When a diamond is brazed to a metal substrate, while obtaining a stable joining strength, a joined interface of the diamond is not eroded to provide a good joint with a beautiful view.’
- ‘Almost any method of joining is applicable to aluminum: riveting, welding, brazing or soldering.’
- ‘The convex top is impressed with diamond patterning and is brazed to the body of the thimble.’
- ‘A typical use is the production of hermetic joints for vacuum brazing applications.’
- ‘They can be readily brazed, and many coppers and copper alloys can be welded by various gas, arc and resistance methods.’
- ‘Magnesium can be welded by many of the arc and resistance welding processes, as well as by the oxyfuel gas welding process, and it can be brazed.’
- ‘Bolt body and handle are forged in one piece, unlike many current actions in which the bolt handle is brazed or welded on.’
- ‘During World War II new brazing alloys of silver were developed.’
- ‘The crown and back comprise a single element separated by a hollow space joined by brazing the parts together.’
- ‘French armorers, I understand, commonly brazed two magazines end-to-end to facilitate a rapid reload.’
- ‘It can be brazed in an entirely inert-gas atmosphere.’
- ‘No, someone brazed his door handles solid yesterday and epoxy-resined his windows shut.’
- ‘Patented brazing techniques were combined with self-aligning parts to provide a completely sealed device.’
- ‘Not only can a high-power microwave oven be used to cook food, it can be harnessed for joining, carburizing, sintering, brazing, nitriding, and annealing metal parts.’
- ‘The handle is welded to the body rather than brazed or silver soldered.’
- ‘These steels are also brazed using nickel alloy filler metal.’
A brazed joint.
Late 17th century: from French braser solder ultimately of Germanic origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.