One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Intermittent weak contractions of the uterus occurring during pregnancy.
labour pains, labourView synonyms
- ‘Towards the beginning of true labour Braxton Hicks contractions may become more frequent, stronger and even painful.’
- ‘It sounds like you are experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions, which are the dress rehearsal for real labor.’
- ‘The Braxton Hicks contractions only help to prepare, or exercise, the uterus for labor and delivery.’
- ‘Tightenings of the uterus, known as Braxton Hicks contractions, become stronger in the third trimester.’
- ‘The majority of pregnant women experience Braxton Hicks contractions during different stages of pregnancy.’
Early 20th century: named after John Braxton Hicks (1823–97), English gynaecologist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.