One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes cabbage, turnip, Brussels sprout, and mustard.
Genus Brassica, family Brassicaceae
- ‘This fits in well with a rotation of brassicas and potatoes.’
- ‘I also did some watering, moved my ornamental brassica seedlings into the sun room (along with the basil) and sprayed my pear tree with bug spray since it's covered in aphids.’
- ‘In addition to vegetable staples such as brassicas, carrots, leeks, beans, beetroot and peas, there are a host of exotica such as easy-to-grow, cut-and-come-again Oriental greens.’
- ‘Though the tender young flower shoots of any of the Asian brassicas can be delicious, choy sum types have been developed especially for their flower stalks and buds.’
- ‘For example, various brassicas (similar to wild mustard) produce oils similar in quality to that of canola, and peanuts have an interesting flavor.’
- ‘Annual crops, like brassicas, and crop aftermath can be utilized.’
- ‘I planted these three brassicas (members of the cabbage family) next to each other.’
- ‘Many vegetables and herbs are highly ornamental, and potagers have become an art form in themselves, with patterns of exotically coloured salad plants and brassicas being displayed within neatly clipped box hedges.’
- ‘The brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, etc.) along with salad greens, beets and carrots all can be planted outside a few weeks prior to the last frost.’
- ‘This year we're experimenting with more fall brassicas like radish, mustard and rape.’
- ‘Swede is a long-season brassica that produces a large edible root.’
- ‘Some of the most destructive garden pests are the worms that destroy the brassicas.’
- ‘They sell new potatoes, baby eggplant, tender zucchini, diminutive brassicas, cherry tomatoes, and more.’
- ‘The main rotation crops are potatoes, legumes (peas and beans), brassicas (cabbage family) and root vegetables.’
- ‘Indoors, start some lettuce, early brassicas (cabbage, broccoli and relatives), and bulb onions from seed.’
- ‘The hardiest of brassicas, plants are best raised in the early summer (around May) by sowing into a seedbed outside, or in pots.’
- ‘At lower elevations where nights are above freezing, continue planting leafy greens, begin direct seeding peas, and start brassicas and onions in flats.’
- ‘Chinese cabbages do not belong to the same species as European brassicas and are treated separately.’
- ‘So, this year, we are going to give the vegetable plot a rest from growing brassicas (plants in the cabbage family) and onion crops.’
- ‘Summer-seeded brassicas extend the grazing season in late fall and early winter.’
Modern Latin, from Latin, literally ‘cabbage’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.