One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extended object with any given number of dimensions, of which strings in string theory are examples with one dimension. Our universe is a 3-brane.
- ‘However in this picture, the warping of the brane causes the the graviton to become bound to our brane, so that the graviton wave function falls away very rapidly away in the direction of the extra dimension.’
- ‘Also, string theory has motivated an understanding of black holes in higher dimensions, and of black extended objects such as strings and branes.’
- ‘In M theory, there are also extended objects, but they are called M branes rather than D branes.’
- ‘The other three-dimensional brane is called the hidden brane, and we never see it.’
- ‘There are branes to wrap, hierarchies to set, geometry to resolve, supersymmetry to break - a laundry list of processes and transitions that have to be described within in a string theory cosmology.’
1980s: short for membrane.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.