Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cocktail made with brandy, chocolate liqueur, and cream.‘we settled into a quiet corner, then ordered oysters and brandy Alexanders’
- ‘Leonard is the first to arrive, and orders a Brandy Alexander from the smirking waiter, thinking that this is the sophisticated thing to do.’
- ‘The Winter Drink Menu featured specials like the Frozen Hennessy Alexander, a frozen version of the classic Brandy Alexander; Newcastle Brown Ale; and the Hot Bomber.’
- ‘You'll be glad to know that the restaurant's parting shot, a rather insipid brandy Alexander, was as horrible as anything I've tasted this side of George IV Bridge.’
- ‘He asked for a Brandy Alexander.’
- ‘Sip John Lennon's favourite, the Brandy Alexander (£3.50) with care; do it too quickly and you'll wonder why the room has started spinning.’
- ‘Having steered away from cocktails up until now, they've recently introduced a new menu, with the Brandy Alexander (and everything else) for £3.75, or half price during happy hour.’
- ‘He wants to be a character from Brideshead Revisited sipping brandy Alexanders and being seduced by hopelessly wealthy dilettantes.’
- ‘They'll come home wanting a foot rub and a Brandy Alexander.’
- ‘The Brandy Alexander (£6.75) is expensive but it's a thing of wonder: one and a half shots of cognac, creme de cacao and double cream, all served in a frozen glass and topped with nutmeg.’
- ‘Actually, I prefer Brandy Alexanders to Long Islands, but Tacky's doesn't make them.’
- ‘We were getting pretty blotto off Pink Squirrels and Brandy Alexanders, and it was a strange sensation, looking at old fairy-tale scenes while listening to this loopy music!’
- ‘In this context, the classic Grasshopper and Brandy Alexander seem new again.’
- ‘The Brandy Alexanders were doing the talking at this point!’
- ‘The Captain was not a picky eater, and the mainstay of his diet was brandy Alexanders.’
- ‘Flavors include Brandy Alexander, made with Brandy and Dark Creme de Cacao, and Whiskey & Cream, a blend of whiskey and Dark Creme de Cacao.’
- ‘He was drinking his beverage of choice at the time, Brandy Alexanders, which tasted like milkshakes to him, but packed a dangerous punch.’
- ‘"We have a brandy Alexander in honor of my grandmother every year," she said.’
1940s: from the surname or male forename Alexander, with uncertain reference.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.