Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pieces of grain husk separated from flour after milling.
- ‘Foods such as spinach, rhubarb and wheat bran can decrease calcium absorption.’
- ‘Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘But cereals made with whole wheat, oats or bran are as healthful as they are convenient.’
- ‘His company has developed a fast, non-destructive technique to measure the amount of bran in flour.’
- ‘Refined white flour is what's left after the nutrient-packed germ and bran are milled out of the wheat kernel.’
- ‘Your best sources of fiber are bran cereals, whole-wheat bread, legumes and oatmeal.’
- ‘Add extra fiber to your diet by eating cereals that contain bran or by adding bran as a topping on your fruit or cereal.’
- ‘This is followed by a mixture of rice with bran, jaggery, coconut shreds and cardamom.’
- ‘They also know a thing or two about ferulic acid, a natural antioxidant that's abundant in rice and oat bran.’
- ‘Vegetables, wheat bran and other whole grains are good sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘Wheat bran and the skins of fruits and vegetables are sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘If they contain a carbohydrate, it's usually oat bran, wheat bran or inulin.’
- ‘If you don't like plain oatmeal, try oat bran or cold cereal made with oatmeal or oat bran.’
- ‘Foods that contain insoluble fibers are wheat bran, whole grain products and vegetables.’
- ‘Such breads rank comparatively high in fiber content because their wheat bran and wheat germ have not been removed.’
- ‘Since small amounts of these are present in wheat bran and in rye, wholemeal and rye breads tend to colour quickly when toasted.’
- ‘The authors were unable to find any research that indicates the digestibility of the fiber fraction of the rice bran.’
- ‘Look in my kitchen cabinets today, and you'll find oat bran and couscous and whole-wheat pitas.’
- ‘Hard white wheat has a unique combination of processing, bran color, and bran flavor properties.’
- ‘In a food processor, mix together the butter, sugar, flours and bran flakes until well combined.’
Middle English: from Old French, of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.