One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pieces of grain husk separated from flour after milling.
- ‘Add extra fiber to your diet by eating cereals that contain bran or by adding bran as a topping on your fruit or cereal.’
- ‘Your best sources of fiber are bran cereals, whole-wheat bread, legumes and oatmeal.’
- ‘This is followed by a mixture of rice with bran, jaggery, coconut shreds and cardamom.’
- ‘Since small amounts of these are present in wheat bran and in rye, wholemeal and rye breads tend to colour quickly when toasted.’
- ‘Wheat bran and the skins of fruits and vegetables are sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘In a food processor, mix together the butter, sugar, flours and bran flakes until well combined.’
- ‘Such breads rank comparatively high in fiber content because their wheat bran and wheat germ have not been removed.’
- ‘If you don't like plain oatmeal, try oat bran or cold cereal made with oatmeal or oat bran.’
- ‘Look in my kitchen cabinets today, and you'll find oat bran and couscous and whole-wheat pitas.’
- ‘They also know a thing or two about ferulic acid, a natural antioxidant that's abundant in rice and oat bran.’
- ‘Vegetables, wheat bran and other whole grains are good sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘If they contain a carbohydrate, it's usually oat bran, wheat bran or inulin.’
- ‘Foods such as spinach, rhubarb and wheat bran can decrease calcium absorption.’
- ‘His company has developed a fast, non-destructive technique to measure the amount of bran in flour.’
- ‘Refined white flour is what's left after the nutrient-packed germ and bran are milled out of the wheat kernel.’
- ‘Hard white wheat has a unique combination of processing, bran color, and bran flavor properties.’
- ‘But cereals made with whole wheat, oats or bran are as healthful as they are convenient.’
- ‘The authors were unable to find any research that indicates the digestibility of the fiber fraction of the rice bran.’
- ‘Foods that contain insoluble fibers are wheat bran, whole grain products and vegetables.’
Middle English: from Old French, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.