One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The approximate distance traveled before coming to a complete stop when the brakes are applied in a vehicle moving at a specified speed.
- ‘The system recognises when the driver hits the brake pedal hard and fast, and automatically increases the speed of the hydraulic pressure build up to shorten the braking distance.’
- ‘The system broadens the range of information shown by including turn-by-turn navigation arrows, braking distance, tire pressure and oil warnings, as well as the traditional speed, engine rpm and fuel level data.’
- ‘Poor braking distance judgement is a sign of bad driving across the board, at any speed.’
- ‘This ‘wipes away’ any water film that may have formed while driving on wet surfaces and thus shortens the braking distance.’
- ‘Although the patent still needs the funding of a manufacturer, the prototype I used gave me consistently smoother stops and significantly shorter braking distances (up to 48% shorter than my standard brake on the same turf!).’
- ‘In August this year a ninth incident occurred when a train carrying hundreds of passengers overshot the red light by 60 feet after the driver misjudged his braking distance.’
- ‘This layer could affect a train's braking distances if left unchecked.’
- ‘It has developed a pioneering ‘Speed Awareness Course’ where drivers receive a lecture partly based upon the out-of-date stopping and braking distances found in the Highway Code.’
- ‘This implies that the marginal effect of higher speed on braking distance is increased when the road is wetter (assuming the coefficient is positive).’
- ‘The actual ‘stopping’ distance is therefore a combination of reaction distance and braking distance.’
- ‘The braking distance for a vehicle travelling at 100k is considerably longer than 54 yards.’
- ‘Temporary warning signs have been erected because spray is restricting forward visibility and, in extreme conditions, braking distances may be adversely affected.’
- ‘The track might be short but it was muscle-straining stuff pulling the kart around the tight corners, judging braking distances to the last possible second and accelerating around the long straight.’
- ‘Good rule of thumb: Double your normal braking distance.’
- ‘It may be a bit difficult on the first run through when you have to judge braking distances but I'm sure we'll be on the pace.’
- ‘In school mode, which is the real core of the game, there are 40 different challenges, ranging from simple things like braking distances to drifting around dirt-track hairpin bends.’
- ‘And finally, we shall require ‘Distant’ or ‘Warning’ signals, a full braking distance rear of the ‘Home’ signals.’
- ‘It's better to judge braking distances and use rolling resistance and the gears to help you slow down.’
- ‘Explanation: a tyre which must last 350 km rather than 80 km will have less grip, reducing cornering speeds, increasing braking distances and possibly producing less tyre debris or ‘marbles’.’
- ‘We would like to see traffic calming measures, such as special surfaces that decrease braking distances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.