Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of the thin blocks that grip the disc in a disc brake.
- ‘The braking system is all-powerful to meet the car's performance levels, with improved air ducting and air flow to the front brakes, as well as a new brake pad material.’
- ‘The brake system includes a brake drum, a brake shoe, a brake pad, and a position sensor.’
- ‘Midway through the Wednesday ride the ‘thump, thump, thump’ of the rubbing brake pad gets considerably worse.’
- ‘Should the brake pad toe in so the fore area contacts the rim first?’
- ‘To fight a skipping brake, make sure you increase the pressure on the brake pad very gradually.’
- ‘Then make sure the ‘wear line’ on the brake pad is still visible.’
- ‘The debris is a mixture of dirt and brake pad material that has adhered to the ceramic surface.’
- ‘This material transfer from brake pad to disk continues as long as the pad is in use.’
- ‘Basically, the more pressure you use on the brake pad the faster you stop.’
- ‘The brake pad compounds were optimised for rallying.’
- ‘The sound of the brake pad can double as a warning.’
- ‘It starts the windscreen wipers when it begins to rain, keeps a constant tyre pressure check, monitors brake pad condition and, in an accident, activates the front, side and curtain airbags.’
- ‘Because you can lower the brake pad as it wears down, or raise it as your braking skills improve, it's also appreciated by more experienced skaters.’
- ‘The only thing that held Marcus back was excessive brake pad wear.’
- ‘For example, installing new front and rear brake pads on a vehicle equipped with four-wheel disc brakes could take 1 hour and 15 minutes.’
- ‘It will surprise you how much brake pad you can use up, when you're scared to death!’
- ‘A sudden increase in brake pad orders indicates there is a problem with a particular pad.’
- ‘My motorbike is currently wearing a little thin on rear brake pads and it's a battle to see which of us cracks first - it or me, finally getting round to taking it to the garage.’
- ‘The brake pad contacting surface of each of the side walls is formed with a wear-indicating projection adapted to be in frictional contact with a brake pad.’
- ‘‘People would come in to get a tyre changed or a new brake pad and they'd stay and just talk for however long it took to fix it,’ Ian says.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.