Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fluid used in a hydraulic brake system.
- ‘It is also important to check all fluids in your car such as the transmission fluid, brake fluid and power steering fluid.’
- ‘Problems will also arise if too much water mixes with the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or antifreeze.’
- ‘The engine is neatly covered under the hood, and a highly accessible layout makes routine checks of the brake fluid, power-steering fluid, the radiator water and others easy.’
- ‘And aside from knowing that a car needs petrol, water and brake fluid, I don't know where these things are located or whether they can be forced to drip out quite so easily.’
- ‘The brake fluid in the master cylinder needs to be filled to the correct level.’
- ‘But when it comes to brake fluid and anti-freeze and cosmetics, manufacturers are accused of exploiting animals for commercial profit.’
- ‘The Government plans to introduce a new EU directive which will require oil and brake fluid to be drained out of a car before it can be scrapped.’
- ‘Hot brake fluid is one of the most oxidizing fluids within a car.’
- ‘Knowing the condition of your brake fluid is crucial because it can absorb water, reducing the brakes' effectiveness.’
- ‘To work, they require gasoline, oil, brake fluid, and so forth.’
- ‘The car is then ‘depolluted,’ with its oil and brake fluid removed and stored for disposal.’
- ‘There are automated fluid fill (e.g., coolant, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc.) stations, as well.’
- ‘He protested that there was absolutely no brake fluid in the car - none - and the brakes were inoperable.’
- ‘An ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluid, it is also a widely used moisture-carrying ingredient in cosmetics.’
- ‘The pistons have a thermal insulator and are drilled radially near the circumference in contact with the pads to limit the dissipation of heat to the hydraulic system's brake fluid.’
- ‘Engine oil, fabric softener, chili pepper, transmission fluid or brake fluid are just some of the agents used, according to the deputy director of Police News Affairs.’
- ‘‘As a garage, we have particular concerns such as vehicle collision, sparks igniting inflammables such as petrol or brake fluid and also manual lifting,’ he said.’
- ‘Pouring corrosive fluid, like brake fluid or paint stripper, on vehicles, and spraying graffiti on homes and roadways seem to be the favorite forms of attack for these criminals.’
- ‘The next step - previewed at auto shows and due in showrooms within five years - sends hydraulic brake fluid the way of the buggy whip by using smart electric motors at each wheel to apply the brakes.’
- ‘Apparently, test candidates will have to know how to check their oil levels, tyre pressure, brake fluid and engine coolant.’
brake fluid/brāk ˈflo͞oid/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.