One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fluid used in a hydraulic brake system.
- ‘But when it comes to brake fluid and anti-freeze and cosmetics, manufacturers are accused of exploiting animals for commercial profit.’
- ‘He protested that there was absolutely no brake fluid in the car - none - and the brakes were inoperable.’
- ‘The next step - previewed at auto shows and due in showrooms within five years - sends hydraulic brake fluid the way of the buggy whip by using smart electric motors at each wheel to apply the brakes.’
- ‘The pistons have a thermal insulator and are drilled radially near the circumference in contact with the pads to limit the dissipation of heat to the hydraulic system's brake fluid.’
- ‘Apparently, test candidates will have to know how to check their oil levels, tyre pressure, brake fluid and engine coolant.’
- ‘Pouring corrosive fluid, like brake fluid or paint stripper, on vehicles, and spraying graffiti on homes and roadways seem to be the favorite forms of attack for these criminals.’
- ‘To work, they require gasoline, oil, brake fluid, and so forth.’
- ‘Engine oil, fabric softener, chili pepper, transmission fluid or brake fluid are just some of the agents used, according to the deputy director of Police News Affairs.’
- ‘Knowing the condition of your brake fluid is crucial because it can absorb water, reducing the brakes' effectiveness.’
- ‘And aside from knowing that a car needs petrol, water and brake fluid, I don't know where these things are located or whether they can be forced to drip out quite so easily.’
- ‘It is also important to check all fluids in your car such as the transmission fluid, brake fluid and power steering fluid.’
- ‘‘As a garage, we have particular concerns such as vehicle collision, sparks igniting inflammables such as petrol or brake fluid and also manual lifting,’ he said.’
- ‘Problems will also arise if too much water mixes with the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or antifreeze.’
- ‘The engine is neatly covered under the hood, and a highly accessible layout makes routine checks of the brake fluid, power-steering fluid, the radiator water and others easy.’
- ‘There are automated fluid fill (e.g., coolant, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc.) stations, as well.’
- ‘The brake fluid in the master cylinder needs to be filled to the correct level.’
- ‘The car is then ‘depolluted,’ with its oil and brake fluid removed and stored for disposal.’
- ‘Hot brake fluid is one of the most oxidizing fluids within a car.’
- ‘The Government plans to introduce a new EU directive which will require oil and brake fluid to be drained out of a car before it can be scrapped.’
- ‘An ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluid, it is also a widely used moisture-carrying ingredient in cosmetics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.