One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad, very short cylinder attached to a wheel, against which the brake shoes press in a drum brake.
- ‘The musician also experimented with rhythms, shying away from traditional drums in favor of a bricolage approach, which included trash can lids, brake drums, megaphones, chairs, and even tubas.’
- ‘This is particularly troubling because the recalls affect a combined total of over 351,000 vehicles, including 260,390 in which there is a possibility of rear wheel and brake drum assemblies separating from vehicles.’
- ‘Think of a car's brake drum, or an intravenous drip bag, or a traditional carbon-paper airline ticket.’
- ‘The brake pad and brake shoe are movable from a disengaged position, where the brake pad is spaced apart from the brake drum to an engaged position, where the pad is in forcible engagement with the brake drum.’
- ‘Older vehicles used brake drums but with the need for more secure braking and safety systems, car manufacturers have turned to disc brakes.’
- ‘The piece, scored for four percussionists, is played by the percussion group using a big array of gongs, tam-tams, tom-toms, suspended brake drums and so on, but is neither bombastic nor boring.’
- ‘Gray cast iron is used in the automotive industry for: engine blocks and heads, automatic transmission housings, differential housing, water pump housing, brake drums, and engine pistons.’
- ‘This lessens the wear on brake drums, rotors and pads.’
- ‘He is of the opinion that the defective brake drums and maladjustment of the steering tillers certainly would not have enhanced the handling of the vehicle.’
- ‘The man was driving on the M62 at Pontefract on Monday morning when a wheel, together with brake drum and tyre, came off his lorry.’
- ‘Campus Security says four ‘high end’ vehicles were hoisted onto cinder blocks and had all their wheels and tires removed, leaving behind the lug nuts beside the brake drums.’
brake drum/ˈbrāk ˌdrəm/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.