Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Stupid; foolish.‘a brainless bimbo’
stupid, foolish, witless, unintelligent, ignorant, mindless, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, half-witted, simple-minded, silly, empty-headed, half-bakeddumb, brain-dead, moronic, cretinous, thick, as thick as two short planks, thickheaded, dopey, dozy, birdbrained, pea-brained, pinheaded, dippy, lamebrained, dunderheaded, wooden-headeddivvyglaikitdumb-ass, chowderheadeddofdotishView synonyms
- ‘The series looks cool but is actually quite brainless.’
- ‘For once they are not cartoons but people whose intelligence is pleasantly plausible instead of being a brainless plot device.’
- ‘But it's hard to be motivated about a project you're really sick of, that's mostly brainless.’
- ‘Any brainless idiot can break something and any halfwit with a box of matches can start a fire.’
- ‘Many assume we are brainless, archaic and ignorant brutes.’
- ‘Even when they're labelled stupid and brainless, they receive the news with huge smiles on their faces.’
- ‘The film is filled with so many such ridiculous and brainless scenes that you've tuned off barely fifteen minutes into the film.’
- ‘What better place to celebrate brainless caterwauling and noisy drivel?’
- ‘I smash my car in a completely my fault brainless bimbo type accident, and then I get to not pay for the repairs.’
- ‘Churchy is a little too brainless to resist evil at first, though too good-natured to persist in it.’
- ‘These people, most of them serious, brainless people with no sense of humour, have to think of an insulting nickname for me.’
- ‘This reductive, brainless jingoism is just too weirdly, sadly topical.’
- ‘He's the stupid, brainless one, and I won't give him any satisfaction.’
- ‘I'm going to go and read a brainless blockbuster instead.’
- ‘Don't succumb to the squealing demands of the noisy and brainless.’
- ‘I'm all for brainless fun, but the fun got left somewhere behind here.’
- ‘The decisions of the King will turn out to be more brainless, stupid, foolish, senseless, and imbecilic.’
- ‘As if making and receiving calls were not dangerous enough, I have seen some brainless drivers reading text messages at the wheel.’
- ‘She didn't show the slightest discomfort at being flirtatious or coming across as a brainless bimbo.’
- ‘They're about the vulgar, grunting, brainless way in which these subjects are handled.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.