One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exceptionally intelligent person.
clever person, intellectual, intellect, bluestocking, thinker, highbrow, mind, scholar, sageView synonyms
- ‘If the error has persisted for 80 years, it does not speak well of the brainiacs behind this movement.’
- ‘And I literally made a hit-list of all the experts, the real brainiacs, and I just pestered him until they met with me.’
- ‘Saying ‘statistically, no’ is supposed to hint that the statistics may well be a fictitious construct, some idle confection of brainiacs and number-crunchers with little real referent.’
- ‘We don't need a bunch of brainiacs to figure this out.’
- ‘And as evening sets in, those same brainiacs, wedged three to six per office, huddle in quiet conference or patter away at their computers in unblinking concentration.’
- ‘The brainiacs on the ‘new ideas' panel at Channel 4 must have been working overtime to come up with that one.’
- ‘I was considered a moody brainiac back in high school, and I poured a lot of my angst into a journal.’
- ‘I mean, it was about two girls who did not fit in because they were brainiacs.’
- ‘Can you please tell the brainiacs and intellectuals that not everyone is a walking dictionary?’
- ‘Josh is well aware that Theo is a scholarship winner and a brainiac who definitely has the power to help him.’
- ‘My mom expects me to be like her, but I'm not trying to be a brainiac.’
- ‘I'll tell you what, you goddamn egghead brainiacs at NASA: I don't want a space elevator.’
- ‘It's going to look too obvious if we keep standing here while all of the other brainiacs go to their labs.’
- ‘Here's what the brainiacs on the editorial board of The World's Greatest Newspaper can't understand.’
- ‘See the brainiac who ripped off Microsoft (his employer) and then boasted about his vast quantities of illegal gain here.’
- ‘Yeah, he's cute - but he's also a brainiac like you!’
- ‘The hybrid team was packed with PhDs, but for all of their technical prowess, the brainiacs had one weakness: little launch experience.’
- ‘Those effete brainiacs are gonna pay for their hubris.’
- ‘University Challenge is that old quiz show that pits one uni against another - on each team there are four brainiacs fighting it out to see who are the top bananas in the intellectual trivia department.’
- ‘With luck, the brainiacs at Movable Type will soon release a single plug-in that autoconfigures this technique, making it point-and-click simple.’
1950s: from the name of a supremely intelligent alien character in the Superman comic strip, from a blend of brain and maniac.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.