One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decorative braid or braided work.‘curtains heavy with gold braiding’
cord, cording, bullion, thread, twine, yarn, tape, binding, rickrack, ribbonView synonyms
- ‘Dismissing Gupta, I go into my home where a young boy wearing a white servant uniform with gold braiding is waiting for me.’
- ‘The black and white wool blend check jacket features neatly trimmed black braiding with simple hook and eye fastening.’
- ‘To enhance their appearance they had to stitch on braiding.’
- ‘Crew mates created a mace from a boat's oar, complete with silver mount decorated with Royal Marines cap badges and decorative knotwork and braiding.’
- ‘Antique beads and braiding were sown on to jersey tops and distressed lace was used to create a patchwork feel on dresses.’
- ‘How many British staff officers are aware that the elaborate braiding on their uniforms originated among Austrian hussars?’
- ‘Interviewees were then measured for uniforms - royal blue with red braiding and brass buttons.’
- ‘Tablet weaving involved threading highly coloured types of wool together to make decorative braiding for high status clothing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.