One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decorative braid or braided work.‘curtains heavy with gold braiding’
cord, cording, bullion, thread, twine, yarn, tape, binding, rickrack, ribbonView synonyms
- ‘Crew mates created a mace from a boat's oar, complete with silver mount decorated with Royal Marines cap badges and decorative knotwork and braiding.’
- ‘How many British staff officers are aware that the elaborate braiding on their uniforms originated among Austrian hussars?’
- ‘Dismissing Gupta, I go into my home where a young boy wearing a white servant uniform with gold braiding is waiting for me.’
- ‘To enhance their appearance they had to stitch on braiding.’
- ‘Interviewees were then measured for uniforms - royal blue with red braiding and brass buttons.’
- ‘The black and white wool blend check jacket features neatly trimmed black braiding with simple hook and eye fastening.’
- ‘Tablet weaving involved threading highly coloured types of wool together to make decorative braiding for high status clothing.’
- ‘Antique beads and braiding were sown on to jersey tops and distressed lace was used to create a patchwork feel on dresses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.