Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for "brahmaputra"
- ‘The only Asiatic breed of significance today, the Brahma, which originated in India, has three varieties.’
- ‘Brahmas are gentle giants with feathered legs and feet.’
- ‘Brahmas arrived in the UK around 1840-1850.’
1The creator god in later Hinduism, who forms a triad with Vishnu the preserver and Shiva the destroyer.
2another term for Brahman (sense 2)
- ‘Though the Brahma and Shiva principles are still in existence, we will explore this in just a moment.’
- ‘"It is not enough," concludes Schuon, "to know that Brahma is Reality, the world is appearance.’
From Sanskrit brahman.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.