Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a relatively broad, short skull (usually with the breadth at least 80 percent of the length)Often contrasted with dolichocephalic
- ‘Thylacoleo are highly specialized brachycephalic predators with greatly hypotrophied molar rows and hypertrophied sectorial third premolars.’
- ‘In sthenurines the basioccipital plane is above the palatal plane, more markedly so in the brachycephalic species.’
- ‘However, we have fossil records that tell us the brachycephalic (short-skulled, short-nosed, flat-faced) dog breeds, which include the Shih Tzu, Pug, and Pekingese originated in Central Asia.’
- ‘You also use much scientific language in your poetry: anthracite, barium, beryl, bituminous, brachycephalic.’
- ‘The French bulldog is brachycephalic; its muzzle has been severely shortened, giving the impression of a flattened face.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.