Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A feminist perceived as militant in the struggle for women's rights.
- ‘In years gone by it was gays in the military or welfare queens or draft dodgers or bra burners or whatever.’
- ‘Its radicalism and politics of rejection also have clear parallels in other civil rights movements: the Black Panthers, the feminist bra burners, and the century-old debates over whether to seek integration or separation.’
- ‘She is now seen as some sort of left wing bra burner on the right.’
- ‘The Radcliffe Institute's outlook, however, owes more to the bra burners than to the responsible feminists.’
- ‘People seem to think that feminism was about suffragettes or bra burners; with the emphasis on the ‘was’.’
From the mid 20th-century urban legend of women of burning bras to symbolize freedom from societal restraints.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.