One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A feminist perceived as militant in the struggle for women's rights.
- ‘The Radcliffe Institute's outlook, however, owes more to the bra burners than to the responsible feminists.’
- ‘Its radicalism and politics of rejection also have clear parallels in other civil rights movements: the Black Panthers, the feminist bra burners, and the century-old debates over whether to seek integration or separation.’
- ‘She is now seen as some sort of left wing bra burner on the right.’
- ‘In years gone by it was gays in the military or welfare queens or draft dodgers or bra burners or whatever.’
- ‘People seem to think that feminism was about suffragettes or bra burners; with the emphasis on the ‘was’.’
From the mid 20th-century urban legend of women of burning bras to symbolize freedom from societal restraints.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.