Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pop group composed of attractive young men whose music and image are designed to appeal primarily to a young teenage audience.
- ‘That's why it felt so dismaying when a major-label boy band was able to mobilise a highly organised fanbase to top the inaugural chart.’
- ‘While her friends might have had boy band posters on their walls, she was more likely to have posters of actors or from musicals.’
- ‘To make it simple, this Christian rock band sounds like any other boy band in the music world.’
- ‘Luke Bainbridge spends a month with the biggest boy band on the planet.’
- ‘One thing they're all insistent on is they're not splitting up, even though three albums and a Best Of is the archetypal lifespan for a boy band.’
- ‘Today, having churned out boy band after girl band after boy band to little avail, they needed something fresh to sell to the kids.’
- ‘The trouble with being in a boy band is that it's not great training for being Bob Dylan.’
- ‘Blake was a fan of the Beach Boys, the Californian boy band that made waves with their surfer anthem Good Vibrations.’
- ‘Most of her recent work has been with British boy band Blue, and she's now their assistant choreographer.’
- ‘A lot of people consider this group, given their fashion sense and hair design, to be a boy band.’
- ‘This album is far from the stereotypical boy band image they're successfully shedding.’
- ‘Deep down though, they're still a boy band, so they still have the obligatory guitar track.’
- ‘Not only was he a member of Boyzone, the Irish mega-boy band, but he was also responsible for putting together Westlife, another Irish boy band.’
- ‘And without a doubt, the dirty basslines on tracks like 'Steam' paved the way for late 90s boy band 5ive.’
- ‘Mark was in a boy band but was kicked out when they found out that he could play an instrument.’
- ‘They appeal to the baggy jean-wearing crowds, but maintain their youthful boy band personas.’
- ‘In the world of boy bands, Blue have certainly lasted on the shelf longer than most.’
- ‘He may seem to have a voice fit for a boy band but don't be critical without listening to at least a few tracks of this album.’
- ‘What they want are nice tunes, sung by a nice lad with boy band looks who actually has some musical talent.’
- ‘There is somewhere a boy band called LFO, apparently standing for Lyte Funky Ones.’
- ‘As a member of the hugely popular US boy band N*SYNC and beau of one Miss Britney Spears, it has been difficult to avoid Justin Timberlake.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.