One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hollow girder square in cross section.
- ‘For aesthetic reasons, the bascule span uses steel box girders - a first for bascule span bridges.’
- ‘The precast dual box girders weigh 35 tons each, with pier segments up to 60 tons.’
- ‘Currently about 80% complete, the first 2200 feet of guideway is a cast-in-place trapezoidal concrete box girder.’
- ‘The steel strut is a fabricated plate box girder weighing 800 lb/ft.’
- ‘Seven magnificent reinforced concrete piers, the world's tallest, with heights ranging from 78 to 245 meters will support the 32-meter- wide steel superstructure with its trapezoidal hollow box girders.’
- ‘He has been testing a 31-m trapezoidal steel box girder, 2 m deep, that would accommodate seismic displacement.’
- ‘This method made it necessary to place vertical steel pins through the top and bottom slabs of the deck box girder.’
- ‘To span this space Peters designed the frame's most innovative element: a 143-foot-long giant steel box girder as the primary support for the first balcony.’
- ‘The arch's 4-ft-wide box girder is 6 ft deep at mid-span and 20 ft deep at the ends.’
- ‘The column-free space is spanned by main trusses that rest on box girders.’
box girder/bäks ˈɡərdər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.