One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tanker used for fueling aircraft and other vehicles or for supplying water.
- ‘Over the next 7 hours, fuels technicians filled and emptied seven fuel bowsers without further incident.’
- ‘I went to see the residents and we did our best to alleviate any problems, including hiring road sweepers and water bowsers.’
- ‘One of the ideas we are chewing over is whether to invest in new gum-busting machines and their powerful water bowsers to add to the equipment already owned by the city council.’
- ‘In Indonesia work has included providing mobile water treatment works to benefit 25,000 people and in Sri Lanka it has set up bowsers to supply drinking water to 250,000 and handed out 50,000 jerry cans to families.’
- ‘In return, the federal government would fund two-thirds of the cost of installing fuel bowsers at the community - a basic facility that all settlements should have in any case.’
1920s: from the name of a company of oil storage engineers.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.