One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bunch of herbs, typically encased in a cheesecloth bag, used for flavoring a stew or soup.
- ‘In a heavy casserole, pour chicken stock or water to a depth of 5cm and add the carrots, large onions, celery, peppercorns and bouquet garni.’
- ‘Cover the ham with water, then throw in your vegetables, bay leaves, peppercorns and bouquet garni.’
- ‘Instead I found a pleasing bouquet garni of sage and thyme, solid blackcurrant, plum and complementary Asian spice.’
- ‘Reduce the heat, add the garlic and bouquet garni, and maintain at a simmer.’
- ‘Tie with a piece of butcher's twine to form a bouquet garni, In a saucepan, add the Port and bouquet garni.’
- ‘The standard bouquet garni is now a bundle of thyme, bay leaf, and parsley; but the composition of the bundle is variable and cooks have their own preferences.’
- ‘Increase the heat, add the onions, carrots, celery, bouquet garni, and water, and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Add the carrot, white wine, chicken stock, tomato, and the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Add the fish stock and the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Add 250 ml of the beef broth and the bouquet garni, cover and bring to the boil.’
- ‘Add chopped onions, peeled carrots, a bouquet garni made of parsley stalks, leek and celery sticks and a little bundle of thyme all tied up with string.’
- ‘Remove from the heat and discard the bouquet garni.’
- ‘Remove from the heat, add the bouquet garni, and set aside for 30 minutes.’
- ‘His appreciation for herbs led him to come up with the ingenious idea of a bouquet garni: a small posy of fragrant herbs tied up in a porous fabric for slow seasoning in stews and soups.’
- ‘Throw in the bouquet garni, bring to a simmer and cook at a very gentle simmer for about 45 minutes.’
- ‘Add the reserved both and bouquet garni, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, skimming occasionally.’
- ‘Also, while it won't be the end of the world if you don't add the bouquet garni or the parsley, it will make your dinner taste better.’
- ‘Add the chopped onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, cayenne pepper, and the bouquet garni.’
- ‘Add the vegetables and chopped herbs or bouquet garni.’
- ‘Bay is a herb that is invariably slung into stews or tucked into a bouquet garni.’
French, literally ‘garnished bouquet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.