One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bunch of herbs, typically encased in a cheesecloth bag, used for flavoring a stew or soup.
- ‘Reduce the heat, add the garlic and bouquet garni, and maintain at a simmer.’
- ‘Add the reserved both and bouquet garni, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, skimming occasionally.’
- ‘Add the fish stock and the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Add the chopped onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, cayenne pepper, and the bouquet garni.’
- ‘Add 250 ml of the beef broth and the bouquet garni, cover and bring to the boil.’
- ‘The standard bouquet garni is now a bundle of thyme, bay leaf, and parsley; but the composition of the bundle is variable and cooks have their own preferences.’
- ‘Tie with a piece of butcher's twine to form a bouquet garni, In a saucepan, add the Port and bouquet garni.’
- ‘His appreciation for herbs led him to come up with the ingenious idea of a bouquet garni: a small posy of fragrant herbs tied up in a porous fabric for slow seasoning in stews and soups.’
- ‘In a heavy casserole, pour chicken stock or water to a depth of 5cm and add the carrots, large onions, celery, peppercorns and bouquet garni.’
- ‘Instead I found a pleasing bouquet garni of sage and thyme, solid blackcurrant, plum and complementary Asian spice.’
- ‘Cover the ham with water, then throw in your vegetables, bay leaves, peppercorns and bouquet garni.’
- ‘Remove from the heat, add the bouquet garni, and set aside for 30 minutes.’
- ‘Increase the heat, add the onions, carrots, celery, bouquet garni, and water, and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Throw in the bouquet garni, bring to a simmer and cook at a very gentle simmer for about 45 minutes.’
- ‘Add the vegetables and chopped herbs or bouquet garni.’
- ‘Add chopped onions, peeled carrots, a bouquet garni made of parsley stalks, leek and celery sticks and a little bundle of thyme all tied up with string.’
- ‘Bay is a herb that is invariably slung into stews or tucked into a bouquet garni.’
- ‘Add the carrot, white wine, chicken stock, tomato, and the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.’
- ‘Remove from the heat and discard the bouquet garni.’
- ‘Also, while it won't be the end of the world if you don't add the bouquet garni or the parsley, it will make your dinner taste better.’
French, literally ‘garnished bouquet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.