One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cube of concentrated stock, used for making bouillon.
- ‘Boil macaroni until quite soft, adding the bouillon cube to the water.’
- ‘Another tip my colleagues gave me was to put a chicken bouillon cube for every half-litre of water that you add to the rice.’
- ‘Bring the water and bouillon cubes to a boil, ensuring that the bouillon cubes are fully dissolved.’
- ‘The rice seemed rather superfluous with all the other food on the platter, but I sampled a mouthful - it tasted primarily of bouillon cubes.’
- ‘In a saucepan, simmer the carrots in the water, butter, and chicken bouillon cubes.’
- ‘In a pot I made gravy, boiling a bouillon cube and adding milk and flour.’
- ‘Limit use of bouillon cubes, seasoned salts, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or barbeque sauce.’
- ‘And, true, there is the occasional gourmet among us, like a roommate of mine who, within a month of living on his own, insisted on making vegetable stock from scratch and scoffed at my use of bouillon cubes.’
- ‘She also made a mean egg-drop soup with chicken bouillon cubes.’
- ‘Actually, it turns out that Wheeler's favorite way of eating a Vidalia is to cut out the core, fill it with butter, salt and pepper, and a bouillon cube, then wrap it in foil and bake it or toss it on the grill.’
- ‘I prepared chicken stock with bouillon cubes, adding sprigs of thyme and bay leaves.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘They had brought over bouillon cubes as well, and Leigh was allowed to put them in the boiling water.’
- ‘Certain foods and cooking ingredients, such as soy sauce, steak sauce and bouillon cubes, contain large amounts of sodium and should be used sparingly or avoided.’
- ‘Cooking ingredients such as soy sauce and bouillon cubes often contain high levels of sodium and, in some cases, msg or monosodium glutamate which can also increase blood pressure.’
- ‘Similarly, the scampi bisque was a hearty, smooth soup with no bouillon cube overtone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.