One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cube of concentrated stock, used for making bouillon.
- ‘Another tip my colleagues gave me was to put a chicken bouillon cube for every half-litre of water that you add to the rice.’
- ‘In a saucepan, simmer the carrots in the water, butter, and chicken bouillon cubes.’
- ‘Actually, it turns out that Wheeler's favorite way of eating a Vidalia is to cut out the core, fill it with butter, salt and pepper, and a bouillon cube, then wrap it in foil and bake it or toss it on the grill.’
- ‘I prepared chicken stock with bouillon cubes, adding sprigs of thyme and bay leaves.’
- ‘Similarly, the scampi bisque was a hearty, smooth soup with no bouillon cube overtone.’
- ‘Limit use of bouillon cubes, seasoned salts, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or barbeque sauce.’
- ‘Bring the water and bouillon cubes to a boil, ensuring that the bouillon cubes are fully dissolved.’
- ‘In a pot I made gravy, boiling a bouillon cube and adding milk and flour.’
- ‘Cooking ingredients such as soy sauce and bouillon cubes often contain high levels of sodium and, in some cases, msg or monosodium glutamate which can also increase blood pressure.’
- ‘Certain foods and cooking ingredients, such as soy sauce, steak sauce and bouillon cubes, contain large amounts of sodium and should be used sparingly or avoided.’
- ‘The rice seemed rather superfluous with all the other food on the platter, but I sampled a mouthful - it tasted primarily of bouillon cubes.’
- ‘Boil macaroni until quite soft, adding the bouillon cube to the water.’
- ‘She also made a mean egg-drop soup with chicken bouillon cubes.’
- ‘They had brought over bouillon cubes as well, and Leigh was allowed to put them in the boiling water.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘And, true, there is the occasional gourmet among us, like a roommate of mine who, within a month of living on his own, insisted on making vegetable stock from scratch and scoffed at my use of bouillon cubes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.