One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rod-shaped bacterium that produces botulin.
- ‘Botox is a complex of proteins produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which contains the same toxin that causes food poisoning.’
- ‘Botulism is a muscle-paralyzing disease caused by a nerve toxin made by a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum.’
- ‘Another important toxin is botulinum, which is produced by bacteria contaminating certain foods.’
- ‘Clostridium (meaning spindle shaped bacterium) botulinum comes from the soil and makes spores (survival packages) that are very hard to destroy.’
- ‘People can die from having too much botulinum in their blood.’
- ‘The idea of botulinum, needles and pain isn't exactly pleasant’.’
- ‘Results showed that the patients who received botulinum had significantly greater improvements in decreasing the severity of abnormal head position and neck pain than the patients who received placebo.’
- ‘It is also unclear whether the vial contained the bacteria botulinum, from which the toxin is drawn, or the toxin itself, as Mr Kay claimed in interviews over the weekend.’
- ‘Kirkland said several explanations could explain the mass mortality at the springs, including drought, toxic gases, or botulinum (a bacterial toxin).’
- ‘There must be a minimum, uniform level of acid throughout the mixed product to prevent the growth of botulinum bacteria.’
- ‘Growth of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum in canned food may cause botulism - a deadly form of food poisoning.’
- ‘The pH of garlic is in the range of 5.3 to 6.3 which will support the growth and subsequent toxin production of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.’
- ‘Administration of trivalent licensed antitoxin or heptavalent botulinum may prevent or decrease a patient's progression to respiratory failure and hasten recovery.’
- ‘The clinical signs of Botulism in cattle are caused by the toxin produced by a bacteria known as Clostridium botulinum, which is in the same group that causes such familiar diseases as tetanus and blackleg.’
- ‘Infant botulism can occur when a child ingests a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum that is in dirt and dust and can contaminate honey.’
- ‘The State Department indicated that botulinum, a biological poison that causes muscle paralysis and death, should be considered strong evidence of a banned weapons program.’
- ‘Although the medical literature on C botulinum and its toxins is truly enormous, the references cited herein provide a meaningful framework for understanding this most fascinating pathogen.’
- ‘There are various forms of botulism poisoning, which is caused by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum naturally found in lake soil.’
- ‘Clostridium botulinum, the causative agent of botulism, is an obligate anaerobic, gram-positive bacillus occurring singly or in pairs.’
- ‘It can also test for the toxins ricin and botulinum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.